Before we end 2016 though, I wanted to do a quick year in review of books, with the help of Goodreads.
A Year of Books:
This year, I read a grand total of 123 books and 40,271 pages. These numbers doesn’t truly reflect the number of books read though because I don’t include reread books in it. And I reread my books quite a bit. Or for certain series, I find it a good refresher to read all the books when the newest book comes out, which can take some time depending on the series.
Top 10 Books Read:
These were, without a doubt, my favourite books read this year. Although I had a little trouble ranking some of them, my number one was absolutely certain.
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
- The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
- Swear On This Life by Renee Carlino
- Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino
- The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
Special Book Mentions
I loved the following books, but as they were not quite the literary books, it didn’t seem fair to rank them along with the novels I had read. These were more for my collections and special editions I added to my bookshelves this past year.
- The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Mark Salisbury
- The Complete Peanuts: 1999-2000 and Comics and Stories box set by Charles M. Schulz
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
I started my bookstagram account @kindredbooks this past July and it’s been such an amazing 5-6 months in the community. I love seeing the creative and aesthetically beautiful photos that are shared and the heartwarming individuals who just want to share their beautiful books and amazing reads. I’ve picked up some great books because of other bookstagrammers – most notably, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (via @twirlingpages) and Illuminae (via too many bookstagrammers to name). I’m looking forward to what else the community brings to my reading life! If you don’t already, please check out my feed!
Happy New Year! And just like that, we are now in a new year. As with the start of any new year, new goals are made. And just like last year, I’m sticking to the same reading goal – 100 books. And perhaps not allowing my TBR pile of books at home to exceed past 75 books, which is already going to be hard considering how I’ve got over 100 books in that pile. Which means I’ve got my reading cut out for me. How many books are you planning to read this year?